Staying safe on Depop - a guide for parents and guardians
We’re proud to be a safe, inclusive place where young people can explore their style and feel at home - and we work hard to keep it that way. In this section we’ll walk you through the steps we’ve taken to make Depop a safe place for young people.
Who can use Depop?
You have to be at least 13 to use Depop, and you need a Stripe or PayPal account to buy and sell on the platform. This is to protect both sellers and buyers. You must be 18 to have a PayPal account, so users under 18 will have to use the PayPal account of a trusted adult. If you’re in the UK, you must be 13 years or older to register for a Stripe account.
How we keep young people safe
- We value kindness, honesty and respect at Depop, and we don't tolerate any use of our platform that makes anyone in our community feel unsafe. This includes:
- Bullying and harassment - you can read more about our bullying and harassment policy here.
- Any hatred towards anyone, especially on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability here.
- All purchases made using the ‘BUY’ button in our app are protected by Buyer Protection. Make sure your teenager doesn’t make any purchases outside the app.
- Your teenager can block other users from viewing their profile, commenting on their listings, or messaging them. You can find out how here.
- We don’t allow the sale of dangerous or illegal items - like medicines, weapons, drugs or drug-related items, and hazardous materials. You can see our full list of prohibited items here.
- We also have special rules for how young people between 13 and 17 can sell on Depop. For instance, we don’t allow them to post modelled pictures of swimwear or certain types of clothes. For more detail, see our full policy here.
The safety of our community is our number one priority, and we partner with accredited industry organisations and non-profits to ensure we are continuously enhancing our approach to security and policy enforcement.
Our partnerships with the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) and Trust & Safety Professional Association (TSPA) help Depop to maintain a safe and welcoming community for users of all ages, and explore new solutions to continuously improve user protection.
How to get help
If you want to report or flag content, get help, or have any questions or concerns about your teenager on Depop, get in touch with our Support team here.